Silicon Valley (and commercial enterprise in general) has been promoting a dangerous new definition of creativity. Capital gain, as the end-all-be-all, has infected both our intellectual freedom and our imagination. Even the most impermeable of countercultures find themselves commodified. Our present predicament begs the question: Is it possible to design an authentic and creative life that can thrive outside this current paradigm? My talk shares stories of failures and successes from my professional life, which started inside the system but inevitably broke off into an uncharted and infinitely more rewarding path.
The career ladder is broken. Design your own life of creative autonomy.
Five things audience members will learn
- How to make an award-winning feature film without a budget
- How to wear the same dress for a year and put kids in school
- How to fake death at work and get away with it
- How to avoid land mines while discovering Eminem in Bosnia
- A complete rethink of what it means to be a happy outlier