Note: This half day workshop is on the Sunday Dec 4 and is FREE to attend but you must RSVP.
Samsung Gear VR is a powerful tool for communicating virtual reality experiences. In this workshop you will learn Gear VR development basics using Unity. With Unity, you will create the basic components required of a Gear VR app. You will also learn about Oculus recommendations and requirements, how to optimize your project to run on mobile and some best practices including how to design for user comfort. By the end of the workshop you will have created a splash screen and connected it to a main scene. You will also walk away with detailed instructions on how to complete a 360 degree image viewer.
Who should attend?
App or Game developers with no previous Gear VR experience, but with experience creating applications and projects using Android and/or Unity.
- Introduction to Gear VR
- Reviewing your development environment setup
- Introduction to Unity
- Creating a new Unity project
- Creating scenes in a 360 image viewer app
- Adding user interaction to the app
- Building an application to view in Gear VR
- Best practices and optimization for Gear VR app development
- Oculus store publishing and submission information
Samsung will lend Gear VR headsets and Galaxy devices to complete the workshop. Students are expected to bring the following:
- Personal laptop: Mac OS X or Windows
Students will need to download and install the following applications on their personal laptops:
- Unity 5.2.2p4 and higher
- Java Development Kit 8 (JDK)
- Android SDK 5.0 and SDK Tools
For full environment setup information, we will be emailing attendees the Mac OS X and Windows setup guides.