This talk will explore the power and responsibility that designers hold in the third decade of the 21st century. One might say corporations informed by design thinking have lost control of their own inventions and we know it is designers who create meaning, guide minds and sell ideas.
So, it is now time for designers, guided by their own life experiences and varied backgrounds, to step up and take hold of the wheel, challenge what is possible, and recognize their responsibility in shaping the world.
The design industry is in the business of belonging, so let’s open our doors and discuss how to create the conditions so we might all understand the power we have in reflecting the world
To detail how designers can re-examine their value and the value of their work – shifting that value from sales and ROI to societal impact.
Things Audience Members Will Learn
- Clear examples of the ways in which design has tipped the scales to create and support inequitable power structures
- Actionable steps for design agencies looking to challenge their metrics for success in support of design that helps instead of hurts society
- How to break down global problems and present their solutions through art and design
- Examples of brands using design to cultivate systems of belonging
- How to approach design and creativity from within – from the ground up – to use it as a tool of belonging
- How we might question our own practice – the role and responsibility of the designer
Designers, Brand Managers