Responsive designers now focus on _patterns_: reusable design modules we stitch together into larger layouts. But how should those patterns adapt, and when? And how do we design with them? Ethan will look at answers to those questions, and start moving our design practices beyond the screens in front of us.
Look at strategies for creating device-agnostic design patterns, and at best practices for documenting our design decisions in pattern libraries.
This talk is aimed at front-end designers and developers who have experience with responsive design, and who are adopting (or starting to adopt) more modular, pattern-driven design practices.
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- How a design pattern is shaped
- Strategies for creating accessible, device-agnostic designs
- Common techniques and frameworks for creating a pattern library
- Methods and resources for collaboratively creating a pattern library
- How a pattern library evolves into a design system