Contrary to popular opinion, UI animation isn’t something to be tacked on just for “polish” or “surprise & delight”. This attitude is why we end up with garish animations and interactions that get in the way of the experience, rather than existing seamlessly within the experience.
Animation is like body language for the web. A direct, intuitive and primal way to communicate with your users, animation can be as powerful as text, colour, or hierarchy if we understand how users infer meaning from motion. In this talk, Eli will discuss how to create a deeper connection with users through the psychology of how they perceive animation, how to evoke specific emotions with UI animation, and make experiences that feel tactile & engaging.
Understand how to communicate with users through motion
UI designers and front end developers, and folks who touch those realms
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- Why animation deserves to be a first class citizen in UI design
- How users perceive animation
- How to appropriately use animation to communicate with users
- Why animation is the best tool to spatially orient users
- How to create UI motion that conveys your brand values