Note that this workshop is offered on the post-event workshop day on Nov 16th and therefore is only available to those who have ‘The Works’ or the ‘Workshop’ ticket.
If you want to build high performance 2D games for iOS and Android devices, you owe it to yourself to give the Corona SDK a try. With a built-in Box2D physics engine, native sprite sheet support, and a raft of social and analytics APIs, Corona makes developing games almost as much fun as playing them.
This workshop will get you started creating games for iOS and Android devices. We will create a complete game, from setting up the project to deploying to an actual device. In the process, you’ll be introduced to the Lua programming language and the Corona SDK
* The Lua programming language
* Configuring your project
* Editing, testing, and debugging your code
* Creating a sprite sheet for game assets
* Movement and collision detection
* Handling user input
* Audio and sound effects
* Building for and testing on devices
1. A laptop with the following software installed:
* Corona SDK
* Mac: TextMate and Corona TextMate bundle, and iOS SDK (to build for iOS devices), or your editor of choice
* PC: EditPlus with Lua syntax file (PC), LuaEdit, or your editor of choice
2. (Optional) To test on an iOS device, you will need a Mac with the iOS SDK installed
3. (Optional) Android device (with Android SDK installed
To keep prices this low, this workshop is bring-your-own-laptop.