Users’ minds take shortcuts to get through the day. Usually they’re harmless. Even helpful. But what happens when they’re not? In this talk I’ll use real-world examples to identify some particularly harmful biases that frequently lead users to make bad decisions. I’ll then talk about some content strategy and design choices we can use in our apps, designs, and platforms to redirect or eliminate the impact of those biases. Finally, I’ll explore our own biases as designers and some methods to prevent our own blind spots from hurting users.
Our users have biases and so do we. Explore how design can help.
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- Common cognitive biases that influence users’ decision-making in ways that can harm them
- Content strategy tips and tricks to help users avoid bad decisions based on those biases
- Ways to leverage certain biases for positive outcomes
- Ways to avoid having our own biases result in negative outcomes for users
- Resources for combatting bias in our work
Anyone whose job it is to help others make decisions.