The Association of Registered Graphic Designers of Ontario, RGD Ontario, is the first and only organization of its kind in North America. It was created by an Act of the Ontario Legislature to grant qualified graphic designers the right to use the designation Registered Graphic Designer (R.G.D.). R.G.D. is a quality signal to graphic design clients, distinguishing professional graphic designers from persons with little or no training and experience.
With over 3,000 members, RGD Ontario seeks to establish and promote standards of knowledge, skill and professional conduct and ethics for graphic designers and acts as an advocate on behalf of the graphic design industry. RGD Ontario’s mandate is to:
- Offer a unified, credible voice for graphic designers when lobbying business, schools and government.
- Advise members on developments in laws and best practices related to graphic design.
- Assist designers to enhance their knowledge, skill and effectiveness through on-going professional development and continuing education.
- Provide a forum for the exchange of information relevant to the practice and instruction of graphic design.
- Increase business and public awareness of the importance and benefits of graphic design
- Liaise with related organizations and allied professions.
Being a member has many direct benefits including participation in RGD programs (Design at Work awards, job postings, mentorship), member rates at RGD and affiliated events (including DesignThinkers, the largest graphic design conference in Canada) and discounts from various RGD partners including insurance providers, magazines and industry suppliers.
For more on becoming a member, visit http://www.rgdontario.com/join/default.asp