With so many tools available to visualize your data, it’s easy to get stuck in thinking about chart types, always just going for that bar or line chart, without truly thinking about effectiveness. In this workshop, Nadieh will teach you how you can take a more creative and practical approach to the design of data visualization.
Broaden your horizon on what is possible beyond the basic set of charts. Learn how to stop thinking about the limitations of tools and design visuals that will effectively convey the insights of your data while also being unique and appealing to the eye. This workshop will stretch your visualization muscle. It will also help you get more confident and open to try and be creative within the tools that you are using.
Learning about the full data visualization process, and broadening your mind to be able to create more effective and beautiful visualizations of data.
People who create (the occasional) data visualization, and have found that the “standard” chart types are not conveying the insights or whose audience isn’t intrigued by them, and want to improve to make their visuals more effective and visually appealing.
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- What are the steps in the data visualization process
- How to come up with ideas and concepts to visualize
- Your horizon will broaden on the types of charts that are out there in the wild
- How to think of approaches to go beyond the default even within the environment of a tool
- What “designing with code” means and connect your design decisions with meaningful data early on
- Attendees should bring… a laptop can be handy for the final exercise, but it isn’t needed.
- Some basic understanding of creating data visualizations would be handy.
- Nadieh won’t teach some app-specific skill (e.g. Tableau, CartoDB, or d3.js). Rather, she’ll focus on how to make data visualization look more appealing and engaging.