Inclusivity and FITC
At FITC, we believe that including a diverse range of voices at our events makes them better, stronger, more inclusive, and more fun. Our current definition of diversity includes people of all genders, including identity and expression; sexual orientation; disabilities, mental and physical; physical appearance including body size, ethnicity/culture, and personal expression; and beliefs, religious, political or otherwise. Having these voices on our stages, on our volunteer teams, and in our audiences allow us all to grow through hearing a variety of experiences, stories, and viewpoints.
What is the FITC Scholarship Program?
The scholarship consists of 50 complimentary conference tickets to an FITC event. Applications are currently being considered for FITC Toronto 2020 event on April 19-21, 2020. (Please note that it does not include transportation, hotel or the workshop day.)
- We will be taking applications during the month of February 2020, and we will be selecting the top 50 entries for complimentary conference tickets.
- Applicants who meet our qualifications but are not selected will receive a link to purchase a heavily discounted conference ticket.
- At FITC Toronto 2020, we will be holding a round table discussion on diversity and inclusion, and what we can do towards improvement as an industry, individuals, and companies, using information collected through our application process. All successful applicants will be invited.
- We will be creating a white paper on lessons learned from our round table discussion on diversity and inclusion.
How to Apply
To qualify for this scholarship, please share one or more recent examples of:
- How you have advocated, advanced, or assisted accessibility & inclusivity efforts, either through your school, work, passion projects, or your community
- Submissions can be presented through any method or combination of methods (case studies, written, video, design, creative code, etc.) and we encourage you to think outside the box. The top submissions may be showcased by FITC online and/or during the event.
What does inclusivity mean to you?
Our definition of accessibility & inclusion may differ from yours, the main characteristics/values we are looking for are:
- Recognizing differences in ability, background, class, culture, identity, race, gender, sexuality
- Acknowledgement of intersectionality and its impact on lived experience
- How have you shifted commonly held beliefs within yourself and or others to overcome prejudices, stereotypes, or to develop relationships with different kinds of people and abilities?
- How have you provided an added dimension of inclusivity using design thinking?
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- If you’re under 18, and part of a class or community group who are looking to attend an FITC event, please reach out to [email protected]
- Must agree to follow our code of conduct
- Recipients are responsible for arranging their own travel and lodging
- This scholarship program is aimed at those who are unable to secure a ticket through their company, or afford a ticket themselves.
- If you work full-time for a company and need assistance in securing a ticket through them, please reach out to [email protected]
- Applications are now open
- Applications will close at midnight EST on March 4, 2020
- Shift perspective
- Dimensionalize thinking
- Awaken consciousness
- Excite the molecules of ambassadorship and partnerships
All personal information collected from applicants will only be reviewed by the staff of FITC, and will never be shared with anyone or made public. We are bound by/in compliance with the Canadian Privacy Act, and treat all personal information with the utmost respect and confidentiality. Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges with names and personal information removed. Top submissions may be showcased online, or during the event, with personal information removed unless otherwise granted by the individual. By applying for the scholarship you consent to the above, and to receive emails from FITC, including current and future event information and notifications.
Drop us an email