A few years ago Jared built a robot that autonomously rakes a zen garden. That is all it does! Which begs the question….. should it exist?
Well it does exist and the zen gardener invariably brings out in humans a modern anxiety about autonomous technologies. He gets it, from A.I. to I.O.T. designing technologies that ‘improve humanity’ is our work. But the recent trend of technology emulating humanity has us humans worried.
So let’s name the source of our anxiety (peak technology); explore its emotional & moral impacts (escapism from humanity); & propose solutions (creating abundance). Let’s also examine trends in computing & product design. This will be indulgent futurism grounded by examples of interactive art, graphic future vision & new technologies that build to a better model for an autonomous future with a twist at the end that would make Asimov proud!
To take a long view on the work we do and how new technologies may impact our work as designers, artists, creatives, technologists & also humans.
Anyone who works in design or technology, is curious about the future, robots or karaoke.
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- An alternative view of what work will be like in a future, one where robots will not keep us as pets or as a power source
- A definition for peak technology and an understanding for how it relates to the current levels of anxiety about autonomous technologies
- A new model for deploying autonomous technologies that can continue the streak of technology improving humanity
- How we might expand our patterns of computing
- How karaoke is the best use of blockchain ever