Responsive design just turned ten, and what a decade it’s been! While the basic ingredients haven’t changed, it feels like everything else has — new devices, new design tools, new layout methods, and more. As we look ahead to the next ten years, let’s use this session to discuss practices and principles that can help you create compelling responsive designs for the challenges we know about today, and for whatever comes next.
Explore new techniques we have for creating responsive layouts, while also discussing broader principles that can help us create more effective responsive designs.
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- A brief history of responsive web design
- The basics of Flexbox and CSS Grid
- Examples of media query-free responsive layouts
- The importance of “device-agnostic” design
- The importance of centering accessibility in responsive design
Front-end developers, web designers
Assumed Audience Knowledge
There’ll be some CSS on the screen, so if you’re comfortable reading it, great! But there’s no technical knowledge required.