Lots of big (and little) decisions go into defining the tone of a film or tv show; Writing, Casting and Performance, Production Design, Costume Design, Editing, Color Correction, Music and Sound Design… Basically every Oscar category. But outside of those categories there is also design. Well, design and animation.
Design and animation are becoming much more prominent in films today. Traditionally when you thought of great design and animation it was relegated to main title sequences, but that is no longer the case. Now even a locator isn’t tucked meekly in the corner, it’s embraced and featured, and often the live action is secondary in those scenes now, if there is any. This talk dives into how we’ve been integrating design into some of your favorite films.
The objective of this presentation is to show you that design is more than a main title sequence, it can influence the overall tone of a show.
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- Every show has a unique tone and the design should reflect that.
- Design and animation can be integrated into many aspects of a show.
- Type face selection and manipulation is key to nailing the tone.
- A designer becomes an essential tool for a direction with a vision.
- How a designer interfaces with the rest of the shows crew.
People with a passion for design and filmmaking.