Note: This is a full day workshop and will be held on Sunday September 24 from 10am to 5pm, and is available to those with a WORKS or WORKSHOP ticket.
When designing eCommerce experiences, we tend to prioritize what we want to say rather than how it’s actually said. It’s not easy because there are literally hundreds of things that can go wrong: from selecting a product, to adding an item to the cart, to getting that final confirmation email, to actually receiving the purchased item. Every step along the way has to be meticulously designed with an eye for error and potential misunderstandings. It affects interaction with filters as much as displaying shipping options or sending a shopping cart abandonment email.
In this new full-day workshop, Vitaly will be covering quite a few design patterns, checklists, strategies and interface design techniques to increase conversion by improving clarity and consistency of the eCommerce experience and sparkling a little bit of delight here and there. You’ll walk away with hands-on tips and techniques for crafting better eCommerce experience right away.
In this workshop, you’ll learn
- How to frame a product, the pricing and the layout in a way to increase engagement and reduce abandonment — based on actual case study from 2017’s Smashing Magazine’s Membership design and launch
- How to design the perfect responsive checkout flow, from adding an item to the cart to confirming payment details
- How to keep customers engaged and delighted while completing mundane tasks
- Ways of reducing error rate by preventing common mistakes and causes for login failures
- Full strategy on reducing shopping cart abandonment with better and smarter checkout UX
- Practical guidelines and rules of thumbs from mid-size and large eCommerce projects, i.e. how to deal with guest checkout, faceted search, filters, autocomplete, smart defaults, progressive checkout, forgiving input, form labels, product lists, navigation, carousels, product comparison, pricing options, shipping costs, delivery times, coupon codes, transactional emails and interface copy
- How to deal with sensitive data, email, password, social logins and privacy or security issues
- How to optimize the shopping experience and specifically the checkout experience for mobile views, and how to use Facebook Messenger, Apple Pay etc. to improve UX and boost conversion
- Innovative examples of better, smarter and faster checkout/sign-up flows and how they’re done
- How to improve perceived performance of the forms with skeleton screens and progress indicators
- A complete strategy and a set of eCommerce checklists for pricing tables, shopping cart page and the checkout flow to use when working on any kind of eCommerce projects.
- Bring in a problem, or an example of a checkout you’d love to improve, with you — we’ll be solving it right on spot. Also, enough sleep is required since we’ll get through a lot of stuff through the day!
- Bring sketching tools and/or a computer