Responsive Typography is the notion that our type must move and change and adapt just as the rest of our designs do. In fact, it may have a bigger impact on readability and usability than any other aspect. In this presentation, Jason Pamental will talk about the ‘4 Ps’ of Responsive Web Type:
- Performance: Load what you need, when you need it (and how to manage the process)
- Progression: Ensure that all devices get a good design and enhance the experience for devices/browsers that can handle it
- Proportion: One scale doesn’t fit all screens; Jason will show a more modern scale that can help make designs work better on all devices
- Polish: Great design is detail; type is no different. Jason will show how to add refinements like ligatures, fractions, swashes and more, quickly and easily
To introduce the audience to the benefits & beauty of using web fonts and how to use them well on all devices and platforms.
Designers who want to create more beautiful, readable and engaging sites and developers who want to build them to be fast, flexible and robust.
Assumed Audience Knowledge
Basic understanding of the web, HTML & CSS. Some concepts are a bit more advanced, but it’s not necessary that the audience has tried them before.
5 Things the Audience Will Learn
- Why web typography is so important, especially on smaller screens
- How to implement web fonts properly for best performance and availability
- What is FOUT and how to minimize it well
- What to adjust for on smaller screens
- How to get beyond the basics and really polish up the details