This session will be a crash course in using things other than PCs, tablets, and phones to build beautiful, connected experiences. The session will cover microcontrollers, sensors, LEDs, wireless communication, lightweight protocols, and small form factor computers like the Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone.
As part of the talk, Branden deconstructs a number of client projects and personal art projects. This includes the Crypto Lotus, a nearly 3m-tall interactive and robotic lotus blossom containing thousands of LEDs that he built and displayed at Burning Man in 2013.
Developers, technically minded designers, producers.
Assumed audience knowledge
Basic software development skills.
Audience will learn
- When to choose Arduino vs. small form factor computer.
- How to balance budget vs computing power.
- The ins and outs [ons and offs?] of LED strips.
- The basics of safely powering thousands of LEDs.
- How to choose a wireless technology and protocol.